Dirt Devil AccuCharge 15.6 Volt Cordless Hand Vac with ENERGY STAR Battery Charger is strong and powerful cordless handheld vacuum cleaner. It is light enough to be easily used with one hand (3.2 pounds, 1.4 kg), but there are also lighter (and weaker) handheld cordless vacuum cleaners on the market.
Dirt Devil AccuCharge 15.6 Volt Cordless Hand Vac Features
This Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner comes with the AccuCharge battery charging system, system that charges (should charge) battery twice as fast as ‘ordinary’ chargers. When the vacuum cleaner is charging, the AccuCharge system constantly monitors the battery. Once the battery is charged, power is reduced to a trickle current to maintain the battery without drawing extra power. This charging system reduces energy consumption by 70% and extends the life of the battery.
Quick list of features:
– AccuCharge technology – faster charging and longer battery life
– Energy Star Compliant
– integrated quick flip crevice tool and retractable brush – always around when needed for detail cleaning
– 15.6 Volts – provides plenty of suction power
– cordless and lightweight – easy to carry around and can be used ‘in emergencies’ – people with pets and kids will appreciate that
– bagless design and easy empty dirt cup – quick cleaning of collected dirt
– can be wall-mounted
Dirt Devil AccuCharge 15.6 Volt Cordless Hand Vac Review and Recommendation
As usual, producer of this vac (Dirt Devil) and sellers praise this vacuum cleaner as much as they can and this is normal for any vacuum cleaner (or any other product, in general).
Good and bad things about this vac, in our opinion:
– it is light enough to be used with only one hand, but there are lighter vacuum cleaners around. Those lighter vacuum cleaners are either weaker with similar price or they are as strong as Dirt Devil AccuCharge 15.6 Volt Cordless Hand Vac (or even stronger), but they cost much more.
– suction power is very strong (for small cordless vacuum cleaner), but some people complain about width of the nozzle, saying that it should be larger. Well, if one increases surface area of the nozzle and keep volume of the air at the same level, suction power (air speed) will drop. To keep air speed at the same level with increased surface area of the nozzle, motor power should be increased and that leads to either larger battery (heavier vacuum cleaner) or shortening of operation time. Obviously, manufacturers of such devices must make many compromises when designing and building such vacuum cleaners.
– due to the new charging system, there is 3 year warranty on this vac. This is great, since it uses ‘ordinary’ nickel cadmium (NiCd) battery. Charging time is, according to the manual, around 6 hours and that is in range of similar NiCd charging systems – AccuCharge don’t simply charge battery, it also monitors the battery. That is a reason why there is NiCd cordless vacuum cleaner with 3 year warranty.
– price is very acceptable for such device. Using more expensive NiMh or even lithium battery would increase both performances of this vacuum cleaner and the price tag. As said before, this vacuum cleaner represents nice balance between power and price.
For more reviews and recommendations feel free to follow Dirt Devil Accucharge 15.6V Cordless Bagless Handheld Vacuum Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
With a degree in engineering, Kathryn Hansen loves to write about how things work. Having her own dilemmas on how to pick the best vacuum cleaner for her large family (with a handful of furry four-legged members as well), Kathryn decided to help others in the same situation. After all, vacuum cleaners are critical to a healthy lifestyle and people have a hard time choosing the best one for their needs.